Saturday, February 20, 2010

Gabe's Rocketship

Friday afternoon, right after his nap, Gabe had a bit of a freak-out. Something TERRIBLY important was missing and his circuits were in a bunch that this something needed to be found.

"Rocketship part missing!"

"What?" I said, having absolutely no idea what he was talking about.

"Rocketship part missing!"

So I set about my daily job of trying to decipher what he's saying in a way that keeps him happy long enough for me to either successfully change the subject to something I CAN understand or figure out what he wants. This time he wouldn't let me change the subject, so I had to focus on sussing out his want list.

I started with the obvious choice: Libby. If I had no idea what Gabe was talking about, and he was THIS adamant about it, chances were good that it was something that he'd glommed on to at an earlier time, which meant Libby had been the one around when he discovered his new "thing." Sadly, Libby was away from her desk at work, so that wasn't an option.

"Can you show me what you want?" I asked.

"Yes," he said. "In kitchen."

"Huh," I said to myself. Rocketship part was in the kitchen. What the hell was this kid talking about?

I soon found out. What he was looking for was a handle. For a broom. That he'd broken off the broom head. And he wanted to use this broom handle in conjunction with another broom that was still together. To create a rocketship. Duh. Of course. I must have been stupid not to know what he was talking about right off the bat.

Oh, and Libby had no idea about it either. This was something he'd come up with out of the blue and decided it was important enough to throw a fit about.

Then he went about launching his rocketship. I caught a portion of it on video.

5 comments:

  1. It works on MY computer. Here are some possible solutions. Use Firefox. Live in the United States. If those options don't work, check out Youtube, I'll post this one on there (http://www.youtube.com/user/parkcow).

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a real pain to comment on blogger, so I'm going to comment on the past 3 posts on this one. Sydney and I thought the two videos were hilarious and congrats on the news about Norah, and I'm not the least bit upset that I had to hear about it on your blog. I bet Famous Uncle Ben got a call or email. Jerk:) See, you made me use an emoticon to let you know I'm kidding. Lets not put ourselves in this position again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, nobody got a call about it. I might do something more formal in the way of informing when we have an actual adoption date set. I figure if people want to know what's going on with me, they can read my blog. If they don't, then that's not MY fault.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just to be clear Pat, we don't come to this blog to find out what is going on with you. We all come to the blog to find out the interesting things that are happening with your kids. We just sort of put up with the other ramblings until there is another cute picture, or funny video to watch. Glad I cleared that up. Glad about things moving forward with Norah, and that Gabe has a working rocket ship.

    ReplyDelete