Tuesday, March 3, 2009

What's Going on Here

The name of this blog sums things up pretty nicely. While the act of dadding does tend to fill up a day, most of the activities end up being of the, well, cleaning up variety--cleaning messes, dishes, clothes, butts, spills, whatever--and a little short of creative outlets. And there's only so much T.V. I can watch.

So, some time back, I decided to start filling parts of my day by creating stories about the stuffed animals that live in our house. But I'm getting a little ahead of myself.

Our son, Gabe, is, shall I say, rambunctious. He has a rather notoriously short attention span, and has consistently been bored with wherever he is in our house. Thus, when he was three months old, he was bored with his little "baby gym" and wanted to crawl around. When he was eight months old and could crawl around well (and we set up a baby barricade to block our living room door so he wasn't crawling all over the house), he wanted out of the living room to crawl around all over the house. When he was about ten months old, the baby barricade couldn't hold him but the baby gates could (and still do, though he hates them), so he was released into the dining room. When he was walking steadily, the living room/dining room wasn't enough, so I started taking him upstairs and we'd stay in his room for large chunks of time. Strangely, even though the stuff that is upstairs in our house is the same stuff that has spent time downstairs (his toys, I mean), when it's upstairs, it's interesting. When it's downstairs, it's boring crap. That still stands true. Every day we have to go upstairs three or four times where he will play with the toys he COULD play with downstairs (where the computer, T.V. and everything else distracting to me live). It's very perplexing.

Anyway, during those first months, before he figured out how to open the door to his room and I could just sit in there on the floor without having to worry about him destroying anything anywhere else, I took to filling my hours creating backstories and, um, middlestories for most of his stuffed toys. These are their stories. BUM BUM.

1 comment: