Monday, November 2, 2009

Day One (and a Half)

Libby has been gone for just under 36 hours now. I REALLY wanted to take some progression pictures--with one the morning she left then one for each day to illustrate how I'm feeling--but I opted not to. I mean, what about me would really look THAT different? I might get some slightly darker bags under my eyes, or they might be a little bloodshot, but that's about it. That's the problem with being well on my way to bald, I can't let my increasingly disheveled hair tell the story for me. Oh well.

And, actually, the picture of me for today wouldn't be very remarkable. So far, things have been going disinterestingly fine. Button woke up three times during the night, and I didn't get MUCH sleep, but since I went to bed at 8:30 last night, I managed to get just enough to keep me from going stupid(er). Very boring.

Gabe hasn't even had any major meltdowns yet. He keeps asking for "Mama" from time to time, or saying, "Hurray! Mama's home!" (which is what he says most nights when she gets home from work) every time he hears a car outside. Then, when I explain to him that, in fact, Mama ISN'T home, and won't be for another two days, he furrows his brow at me as if to say, "Idiot," then walks over to the dining room window, opens the shade, points out the window and says, "Mama's car" (the Echo). Then I remind him that Mama took the van and the car has been out there all along. He gives me a mildly annoyed look and then we go about our business.

It might be possible that he'll deal with this week in an admirable fashion. I certainly wouldn't mind if things played out that way (though this blog will get even more boring more quickly than usual). I think the major meltdown will happen if he wakes up in the middle of the night and Libby isn't there to pull him out of bed to "snuzzle" for awhile. I tend to be more of the "Go back to sleep, goddammit!" attitude. So, then things might get a little messy. We'll just have to wait and see.

As for Libby, she called me about two hours ago as she was prepping to go in to give her presentation (which was supposed to happen at 3:00--it's almost 3:00 now, but her phone has been off for awhile now, so I'm wondering if she got in a little early. I'm sure she'll do fine. And, hopefully, when it's done, she'll BE fine, too.

On an unrelated note, I fully expect Gabe to have Type II diabetes by the end of the week. Or I will. Honestly, who invented the concept of trick-or-treating? It's all I can do to ration his candy intake to a piece every hour or two. And the only other alternative is for ME to eat it, and that's not a very good idea either. All day I have to listen to the whining, begging, "Treat, please!" over and over again. At least he's saying please, I suppose.

1 comment: