Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Splashing and Lava Lamps

Just a few videos to share again today.

After dinner last night, we took the kids outside to play for a bit before bed time. One of the first things Libby did while we were out there was to put some water in a bucket to give to her chickens (which, sadly, haven't died yet). After watering the birds, Norah decided that she needed to play in the water. But simply splashing in it with her hands wasn't enough. She decided that she needed to stand in the bucket and stomp around. By the time I got the camera around, she was mostly done with that, but I got some video of her doing some generally cute stuff after, too.




After getting soaked, we went inside and took a bath and got ready for bed. Then, kind of out of the blue, Libby got inspired to buy something for the kids.

Gabe has been a little obsessed with volcanoes for the past two weeks or so now. They are about all he talks about. Pretty much everything relates to volcanoes in some way, shape, or form. He might be playing with army guys and a dump truck, and those toys might be doing typical armying and dumping for a little bit, but before long they all end up doing something volcano related. Sometimes they are exploding forth from a volcano. Sometimes they are cleaning up after the volcano.

Kind of a funny story about that, actually. Two weeks ago, he said he wanted to see a volcano. He wanted me to load him up in the car and drive him to one that he could see. I explained that we lived VERY far away from the nearest active volcano, but I could show him one on the computer. So we spent about a half an hour looking at volcano videos on youtube and National Geographic's web site. And he would have continued to watch for the next hour or two if I'd felt like constantly finding new clips to watch. But I didn't, so I told him I would find him a volcano movie to watch, and I ordered a National Geographic Explorer episode about volcanoes on ebay. Fortunately, the person I bought it from was on the ball, because a dozen or so times a day (starting from five minutes after I ordered it), Gabe asked me if his movie had come in the mail yet.

It came in early last week and he has watched it at least once every day. He's even watched all of the special features on the DVD. There's a good chance that, within a couple weeks, he will have watched more hours of National Geographic in his life already than I have managed to watch myself over . . . however many years old I am. I can't remember anymore. A lot.

Last night, then, Libby was inspired to find Gabe a lava lamp for his room. Everything is volcanoes, lava and molten rock take up a goodly portion of his brain these days, we've been having to leave the light upstairs on for him because he's been scared of the dark recently--pretty much getting a lava lamp seemed like a fantastic idea. So she ran out and got two of them, one for Gabe and one for Norah's room (because what the hell, we often have to turn the light on in her room so we can see where she is to hand her a bottle and tuck her back in, so having some light in the room wasn't a bad idea).

And he loves the light. Already this morning he's gone up to his room just to stand in front of it and stare for a few minutes.

After installing the lights last night, I decided to keep a hold of the tubes they came in, just in case one of them didn't work or something. But I also figured that the kids would enjoy playing with them this morning. And they did. Though in a way that I didn't expect.



I REALLY wanted him to try to put one on each leg and walk around. Sadly, I don't think that ever occurred to him.

1 comment: