Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The April Fools' Day Bitch: Me

Just a very quick post because I'm using Libby's laptop (which has a keyboard perfectly sized for children or someone with lithe little fingers--NOT fat hobbit fingers like I have--so every word I type requires multiple attempts and many unwanted letters).

Sunday, our hard drive in the computer broke. Out of nowhere, it started making a clicking noise which we found out means that something bad is going on. We've given the computer to a friend of the family to work on, but I'm not that hopeful that anything will be salvaged. Which means that we lost pretty much ALL of the pictures and videos of the kids.

In a stroke of extreme irony, just last week I ordered a back up external hard drive that I had intended to move everything onto in the off chance that something happened to the computer. I ordered it from Amazon, which, sadly, meant that it hasn't yet come in the mail, but I fully expect it to today or tomorrow. I can't stop kicking myself for not getting it ordered just a week earlier. The worst part is, it's something I'd MEANT to order back in January, but just never got around to. It just figures that, shortly after I did remember, the stupid hard drive would go. Thus I can only assume that it broke BECAUSE I ordered the external drive and Fate is just picking on me once again. The bitch.

So, yeah, pretty broken up about the hours and hours of videos and hundreds, probably thousands of pictures that we lost. It was like we had a house fire without all the insurance paperwork. I just hope that blogger will let me download the videos and pictures that I've posted on here--which will be nice since I've really posted the best of the best on here for the last year now. That would be something, at least. But I haven't actually tried to download anything, mostly because I'm afraid of what I'll find out. Stupid computers.

Take this as a cautionary tale and back up your stuff!

At any rate, I probably won't post on here again until the computer is up and running again. It's just too frustrating trying to type with this laptop.

3 comments:

  1. all your blogger stuff should be accessble through picassa online

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bummer!!
    Hopefully you can recover the stuff on the hard drive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, that completely sucks. Good luck, hopefully it will be fixable, at least temporarily.

    ReplyDelete