Tuesday, August 18, 2009

A Light Hidden in a Bushel Basket

Yeah. That reference to a parable is a bit of a stretch, but it was the only reference to a basket that I could think of that didn't involve someone named Marion being chased by a persistence (the new official name for a grouping of men with questionable intentions--because "mob" has been done to death) of men in turbans.

Really, what we had was a basketful of Gabe's top half. It's on the video, and I'll get to it shortly.

Libby's two weeks off has been pretty nice so far--though she's been spending a lot of it away from the house as we try to get several appointment oriented activities done these next two weeks when her work schedule won't have to be rearranged. Yesterday, Gabe had his first dentist appointment.

We THOUGHT he had a cavity on one of his top teeth. Turns out, it was just a calcium buildup of some sort and nothing to worry about. Libby took him, so, unfortunately, I can't really elaborate much on how the trip went. I do know that he didn't mind parts of it, but HATED the fluoride lacquer thing they did for him at the end. Otherwise, I guess it went pretty well. Hardly blog-worthy, unfortunately.

Then, today she took the van in to have it's 10,000 mile checkup done. Thursday, she has a haircut appointment, then next week we have a court hearing for Button and a rather late in the coming two month checkup, also for Button (and late in the coming because it took us awhile to find someplace to take her that would accept the medicare cards that foster children are on--effing medical establishment and their pain in my ass methods . . . bring on the public option, I say, and stick it to the greedy bastard insurance agencies and the medical organizations they have wrapped around their fingers! Yeah! Eat it! And while I'm ranting, I want all the money back that we had to waste on the non-surgery options for Libby's back surgery last year--plus the year of her life that she was nearly laid up in pain while the slow process progressed [how's that for bureaucracy getting between a patient and doctor?]--just to keep trying the cheapest options possible to appease the insurance agencies, only to have to pay MOST of the bill for the surgery when it was actually done. Goddamn, rassafrassin, sonsabitchin, frickinfracks!)

There. I'm done. Sorry about that. I get a little irritated about this whole healthcare thing. I've found that my tolerance for the stupidity surrounding the "debate" issues is wearing tenuously thin. People should consider doing a little research before voicing their opinions (I have, so I feel safe making this statement).

Anywho. Busy next two weeks. I also plan to fix four broken windows that have appeared in the windows around our house since last winter. The panes of glass in some of our windows is about one hundred years old--or possibly older--and some of the weather we've been having has been playing silly buggers with them. So, I figured this would be a good time to try and be productive.

Now, onto the video. Here's Gabe, playing a new game of his own creation this eveing. It's called, "fall head first into a narrow basket with your hands at your side so you can't get out." This was the second time he did it that I caught on tape. He went ahead and did it a few more times afterwards. Seriously, I'm torn. Either he's gifted, or special. We can't decide which.

2 comments:

  1. And the "cool tricks" thing he is saying is from "Yo Gabba Gabba." Each episode they have a segment called Cool Tricks where some person does something that is supposedly cool (one guy plays a theremin--which is possibly the most ridiculous instrument ever, next to the sousaphone--another kid hangs spoons from his nose). Anyway, when it's over, they sing "Cool, cool, cool tricks. Yeah!" So, Gabe does that now. He says "Cool tricks. Yeah." I find it amusing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know how, supposedly, if you've been stung by a bee and then years later get stung again it can kill you? (I'm saying supposedly because I only ever heard of this as a murder plot in a Poirot, so it could be complete hogwash) I think because it's been such a long time since my last exposure that hearing the Jabbara Carpet Outlet jingle on this video might have caused me serious damage.

    I'm amused that Gabe is so upset by getting himself stuck in the basket - I can understand him doing something stupid that makes him laugh over and over, but willingly doing something repeatedly that makes you cry instantly? I don't get it. Gabe, you have me befuddled.

    ReplyDelete