Friday, June 24, 2011

Mud Butts and Bubble Wands

First, that's a great post title, isn't it? Someone should use that for their band.

So this is that post where I put up some videos I've been sitting on for a week or two. Hurray! But wait, these are kind of funny. Promise.

About a week and a half ago, we got some rain. Our driveway, since it isn't paved, is notorious for holding mud puddles. Gabe, exhibiting surprising ingenuity (well, not surprising, really, since it was an ingenious way to get himself dirty, and he has a pretty solid history of coming up with creative ways to do that), made up a fun game.

The videos really say it all.







Maybe the videos don't QUITE say it all. Over the course of this little experiment in bidetery (hurray, I made another new word!), I pointed out to Gabe that not only was he shooting muddy water up his back all the way to his hair, he was, in fact, shooting muddy water straight up his butt. In response to this, he looked back at his butt, laughed, and then scooted back on his seat so that he could shoot MORE muddy water up his butt.

I went ahead and got some pictures, too, and included them here because it is a little easier to see his butt.

The fresh application of a new layer.

The problem with leaning back so he could shoot more mud up his butt is that he lost his balance. He fell off backwards into the frothy puddle that he'd created. Where he played for a few minutes before he got back on the bike.

Then, the other day, Gabe found a small bottle of bubbles that he'd been given, and Libby helped him come up with way to make LOTS of bubbles. She bent a badminton racket, filled up a very small baby pool with ALL of the bubble solution that we had (which was a quite a bit--about a gallon, I think), and let him go at it. The theory was that he would dip the racket, pull it out, then wave it around and make dozens of bubbles at a time. As you can see from the videos, he found a rather more wasteful way of making thousands of very small bubbles instead. She said she learned it from the Bubble Master or Bubble Guy or Mr. Bubble or some "celebrity" of some sort? I have no idea who she's talking about--but, I didn't have access to real television channels as a child so I'm deprived of anything that didn't make network TV. Also, I didn't watch many stupid things (except Bravestarr, which was pretty stupid), so I might have missed it that way, too. I guess the Bubble Guru guy is dead now? Dunno, she said it was in his honor, which is nice even if I had no idea what she was talking about.






One last thing.

Several months ago, Libby bought Gabe a Scotch Tape dispenser. It is a little plastic bracelet that dispenses single strips of tape. We installed one package of the tape, which he proceeded to put on EVERYTHING until he ran out. And then we told him we were "all out" of tape and quietly hid the thing in with his art supplies so he'd forget it even existed. Which he mostly did, until he found it again. And, because the memory of a parent is very short, I forgot what a mess he made with it the first time and refilled it for him.

Then this happened:

At least it only ended up on him and not everywhere else. Nonetheless, the dispenser was put back in the art supplies until the next time he stumbles upon it and I forget what he is able to worchen . . . (that doesn't seem to work. I was going for the present tense/infinitive form of "wrought." The closest I could get was the Middle English version of "work," which completely fails to make any sense, but I'm keeping it anyway because I spent two minutes on dictionary.com looking it up).

1 comment:

  1. When I first saw that last picture I thought that it was somehow related to the bee story and his face had swollen up because of a bee sting. Glad that it was just tape. You can sort of imagine what Gabe would look like if he becomes a boxer or something in the future.

    ReplyDelete