Thursday, September 23, 2010

One Dad, Not Enough Time

I've reached a bit of an impasse over the past couple weeks, and I feel as though I should give everyone warning. I have begun, in earnest, to compile and edit many of my earlier postings and supplement them with new stuff to tie it all together in the hopes of creating an end product that I can start to receive rejections on from agents/publishers. The problem is, I still only have the same very limited time during the day to work on it that I previously dedicated to working on submissions for this site.

That isn't to say that I plan to take a hiatus or anything from posting on here--but there is a very good chance, indeed, that I won't be able to keep up with the multiple-posts-a-week rate that I've been able to mostly maintain for the last year and a half. Probably, this isn't a BAD thing, as many of my postings have been little more than filler and probably not worth your time and eye strain. Any time the kids do something noteworthy or entertaining, I'll figure out a way to share it.

Also, as I get this thing put together (already up to almost 40,000 first draft words! Though I'm not sure what my goal is yet, probably in the 75K-80K range), I will also be looking for readers/editors. Although I doubt anyone has noticed, I have a tendency to get a bit wordy at times. And my goal is to come up with a clean, concise, easy-to-read (and hopefully easier to market) finished project than I'm likely to create on my own.

Libby is an ace at destroying my work, but she really has less time than I do to work on this sort of thing, so, while I'm counting on her to EVENTUALLY read it, I'm sort of figuring that she'll do so at about the same rate that she's read the other three books I've written (I finished the first almost two years ago--and she's managed to edit six pages of it, so her current rate of return is about one page every four months. Not a very realistic reading rate if I want to get this sent out before we retire).

If you have strong eyes and like to judge people based on their writing style, let me know and I will happily send you sections as I get them completed.

1 comment:

  1. yes please. I never read your other books but I'd be happy to look at this stuff.

    I can offer my opinion and, if it comes up, correct your spelling of aluminium.

    ReplyDelete