Friday, October 26, 2012

Butt Bombs

At some point in the last week, Norah has started doing what she calls "butt bombs." I guess it's something they did in preschool. Although it isn't the most socially acceptable thing in the world, it is pretty funny and I love that we have her in a preschool that teaches her indelicate things. Prim and proper is boring, even if socially acceptable.

In its pure form, I have no idea what it's supposed to be. It's morphed into something 50% about farting and 50% about pretty much anything butt-related.

But, even though I don't really know what it's supposed to be about, I do know that it's fun to say.

Butt bomb. Butt bomb. Butt bomb.

Fun.

Norah has come up with a few little dances and pantomimes that she does while she repeats "butt bomb" over and over. And she's developed three or four different voices that she uses to say the phrase--including one best described as "creepy, possessed little girl," which is great.

I have to admit, I have mixed feelings about her dramatic flare. On the one hand, she's going to be interesting and, more than likely, a lot of fun if she keeps this kind of performance knack up. On the other hand, drama. I'm not great with drama. Something to better adapt to in the future, I suppose.

It's interesting, really. Both of my kids seem to have a flare for performance. It's interesting because it seems to fly in the face of any sort of "nurture" arguments that might be made. I certainly have ZERO flare for performance--unless passive-aggression is a kind of performance. Yet, despite the fact that my kids spent most of their developmental time around me, they are becoming performers in their own right. 

The fundamental difference in their performance types is also pretty interesting. In many ways, they are like a classic comedy duo. Like the Smothers brothers, or Abbott and Costello (though I was always more of a Laurel and Hardy fan), or Chris Farley and David Spade. The slapstick goofball and the straight man. I guess Sonny and Cher would be a more suitable comparison (as I certainly wouldn't wish a comparison to David Spade on anyone). Gabe's performances are undirected, scattered, high-energy, and usually physical. Norah's performances are more cerebral and low-key. Both funny in their own ways. At least life should remain interesting around here.

Anyway, today I tried to get her to perform some of her butt bomb stuff for the camera, with not-great success. Still, here is what she was willing to do for the camera.

 
 Plus, a bonus video I found on the memory card!

No comments:

Post a Comment