Monday, May 10, 2010

The Scrunched Up Smiling Face Is Universal

When Gabe was about a year old, he started doing this weird smiling face. We got gobs of pictures of him doing it, but this was by far the finest:

This picture is awesome because it looks like he's responding to the big monkey butt in the window, though I somehow doubt that is the case since he STILL doesn't laugh at farts (which is beyond comprehension to me), so I doubt he was grasping such butt humor around one year old.

And, just because I was looking at old pictures, I'm going to include some others that made me smile. This might not LOOK like a smile, but it was. Gabe was not a naturally smiley baby, so I assume he just stuck with what he knew--frowning--and ran with it.

My kids are a mess.

That should proof beyond a doubt that it wasn't a fluke. He did it pretty regularly when the camera was in front of him.

Naturally, I assumed it was just Gabe. He's always been a ham, so I just figured these were the first signs of his hamming nature. But now I have indisputable proof that it's something ALL babies do because Norah has also started doing it (thus, 100% of all of our babies do it, and you just can't argue with those percentages).

Now, Butts IS a smiley baby, so she's got it down right from the beginning.

And just to prove that it wasn't a one time occurrence, I went ahead and took several pictures of her. Each time she presented me with a similar "cheese" face.

Please excuse the nastiness on her shirt. It's chocolate Cheerios. They make her drooly. Possibly because the box is almost two months old. She's the only one in the house who will eat them. Even Gabe thought they were gross (and I've always hated chocolate cereal--which is the exception to the Pat Loves Sugary Cereal rule).

Though, I don't see how stale cereal could possibly make a baby drool more than usual. We THINK she's getting those next four teeth in--the four teeth that she started the first part of the year. The damn things started to break through then sucked back in. Now they appear to be breaking through again. They better commit this time because it hardly seems fair that she'd have to suffer through the discomfort and sleepless nights more than twice with a single set of teeth.

Actually, I hope this is a sign that she will also be a ham. I love the idea of having two entertaining kids.

10 comments:

  1. I would love two entertaining kids too...you rock these kids Pat!
    -Libby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, at the very least, you have two kids who are very in touch with their emotions and and expressing them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think there's any chance you won't have two hams for kids. Just make sure you give 'em points for style - the scrunch face is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW, start making your plans for what you're going to do with all your free time. Aunt 'Nanny' Molly lands in 10 days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chocolate cheerios? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of cheerios? Who was the marketing wizz who came up with that one? "Um, I know we've been making the same damn cereal for yonks, and it's been great, really great. But, hey, we COULD coat these fucking O's with some mutha fuckin chocolate and blow the lid of this mutha fuckin yellow box of O's"

    Obviously, in my imaginary marketing wizz is actually an extra from The Wiz.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They've got all sorts of Cheerio flavors now--Honey Nut, Frosted, Fruit, Chocolate, Apple Cinnamon, Multi-Grain, Yogurt Burst, and Berry Burst. We've not tried most of them, but I do know that the fruit ones (which nobody in the house likes either) are like small, extra hard fruit loops.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooooo! I want to work at a marketing firm with JOHN! Sounds fun!

    There is exactly zero point to any Cheerio beyond the regular Cheerio. In fact, there is no point in anything beyond the grain-flake/Cheerio/muesli spectrum of cereal. Bah! I am a cereal Scrooge.

    And don't EVEN get me started on oatmeal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You Love kids. What did you grow up eating, plain Malt-O-Meal? Libby won't eat anything that doesn't taste like flaked cardboard. She considers plain Raisin Bran exciting. Gabe would call your cereals "beige," and with good reason.

    And, I would like you to get started on oatmeal. I'm curious where that will go.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Damn, Blogger lost my long-winded reply.

    Rest assured it was a codgery treatise on the awesomeness of regular (and steel-cut) oats.

    ReplyDelete
  10. By "regular" I assume that you mean "plain," right? I find that concept an inexcusable affront to my taste buds. Plain oatmeal is the closest equivalent to "nutritious gruel" there is on the planet, and should not exist. You might as well be a queued up orphan in Oliver Twist if that's what you expect from a meal. And adding butter and salt to oatmeal is equally unacceptable. Butter and salt is a passable flavoring for rice or pasta, but that's it. Oatmeal NEEDS sugar. I believe the Oatmeal Council would even back me up on that one.

    ReplyDelete